James is an IP specialist with extensive experiences in handling IP litigations, contentious, enforcement and advisory matters. He has served world famous luxury brands, dual listed PRC tech giant, a HK unicorn, MNCs, Fortune 500 companies, and HK listed companies.
James’ more recent and notable experiences include:
- Assisting PRC technology giant, Alibaba, in handling their portfolio of offshore trademark contentious proceedings. James has handled over 200 cases in over 40 different jurisdictions for the group. He also represented Alibaba in handling various domain name disputes, company name complaints / litigations and various online brand protection matters.
- Assisting prestigious luxury brand Louis Vuitton in a copyright infringement and passing off case against Belle International in relation to its popular Archlight sneakers (HCA 776/2019).
- Representing Hong Kong Karaoke Licensing Alliance Limited (“HKKLA”) in their Copyright Tribunal dispute against Neway (the biggest Karaoke Chain in HK) (CT 2/2010), involving over HK$90M of licensing fees for Neway’s use of their karaoke music videos. The case lasted over a decade and resulted in a first ever judgment handed down by the Copyright Tribunal.
- Representing Hong Kong Recording Industry Alliance (1 of 6 registered copyright licensing bodies in HK, which represents multinational record companies such as Warner, Sony, Universal etc., “HKRIA”) in handling copyright infringement action against Metro Broadcast Corporation (an HK radio broadcaster) (HCIP 42/2021).
- Representing Malaysia listed snack and confectionery manufacturing business – Oriental Food Industries in an IP infringement dispute commenced back in 2011 against one of HK’s leading importers, exporters and distributors of FMCG food products – Sze Hing Loong (HCA2094/2011).
- Handling the Hong Kong IP enforcement portfolio of and the Hong Kong Customs trademark recordation for French apparel and accessories brands – Sandro, Maje and Claudie Pierlot.
In addition, James has in the past advised clients on privacy policies, IT service agreements and disputes, distributorship agreements, NDAs, celebrity endorsement agreements, ecommerce agreements, manufacturing agreements, sponsorship agreements, website terms, advertising compliance issues, and prepared substantial IP legal opinions (both English and Chinese) concerning company listings on the Main Board of the HK Stock Exchange.
James also has experience in handling employment matters, compliance projects and cyber fraud money recovery actions.
James is a Council Member of the Licensing Executives Society China, Hong Kong Sub-Chapter and an Executive Committee Member of the Hong Kong Automation Technology Council.
James speaks fluent Cantonese, Mandarin and English.